Sunday, September 11, 2005

WORD Week 09-11-05 CARRIED


Psalm 27

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? 2 When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. 3 Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. 4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. 5 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. 6 And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD. 7 Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me. 8 When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. 9 Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation. 10 When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up. 11 Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies. 12 Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty. 13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. 14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.


CARRIED

On any given day we are inundated with an onslaught of news that deposits themes of hopelessness and cynicism in our spirits and psyches. Oftetimes, this news is fraught with negativity and adulation of self-centeredness and high disregard for others. It is during such times that we see nations fighting among nations, inequality vanquishing equality, injustice emasculating justice, malignant narcissism annihilating the power of empathy, friendships eroding, families disintegrating, unemployment rising at epidemic rates, and people being displaced from their homes. Such occurrences are not necessarily a consequence of bad decisions nor are they necessarily a consequence of the lack of personal discipline, a lack of faith, nor a lack of one having a connection with a faith community, but far to often, such circumstances are consequences that are an outgrowth of forces that are so much larger then you or I! It is during such times that we must realize that even during such horrific times that we are being "CARRIED THROUGH."

In a book entitled Why Can't I Fly? by Ken Brown, the Ostrich sets out on a journey to discover what are the hindrances that prevent him from flying. The Ostrich consults his friend, the Sparrow, and observes that the flamingoes who have long necks like he does and that the storks who have long legs like he does can, in fact, fly and questions, "Why can't I fly?"

The Ostrich is told perhaps he does not try hard enough. After repeated attempts to fly commensurate with the pain of defeat each time. The Ostrich places his head in the ground. After allowing himself time to be present to his suffering, the Ostrich tries three more times and becomes entangled in the laves of a palm tree.

Feeling desperate and washed up, but not given out, the Ostrich tries one last time and begins to fly. He shouts to the heavens that he is flying and oh if his friends could witness this with him! He couldn't believe that he was flying and the likelihood that others would not believe that he was flying relentlessly haunted him.

As the reader turns to the final page of this story we see above the clouds with invisible strings, all of the birds of the heavens had linked a line from the Ostrich to themselves and, in fact, did witness his flight as they were the ones who were carrying him!

David reminds us in Psalms 27 "I would have fainted unless I believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living!" He petitions us to "Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait I say, on the LORD."


TO YOU, THE BELOVED OF GOD, LET GOD CARRY YOU! FOR EVEN RIGHT NOW IN YOUR DISTRESS IT IS NOT BY OUR OWN POWER OR MIGHT THAT YOU STAND, BUT BY THE INVISIBLE LINKS THAT GOD HAS ESTABLISHED FROM HIMSELF TO US THROUGH JESUS CHRIST! MAY YOU TAKE REFUGE IN THE UNSHAKABLE HANDS AND UNQUENCHABLE AND UNDEFEATABLE LOVE OF GOD!


GET CARRIED!


"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of GOD, and not in us. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed." 2 Corinthians 4:7-9

For your convenience, all of the links to Plethora Ministries sites are listed below. All you are required to do is "click" and be blessed! Please pass this on family members, friends, co-workers, and other travelers on their journey to spiritual integration and wholeness.
K. Mason (c) 2005

Blessings
Plethora Ministries


Plethora Ministries

Click here for Web log Page [contains additional reflections not sent via mail and pictures]Comments may be entered in any entry of your choice


http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/t/i/itiswell.htm

Click here for "IT IS WELL" Musical Midi

plethoraministries@yahoo.com
Plethora Ministries


Please spread the word to others you know and if they are interested in receiving the WORD Of Reflection Devotion weekly , please have them send an email to plethoraministries@yahoo.com and state in the subject line: "Request for WORD." Please feel free to write Plethora Ministries with your comments:

K.Mason (c) 2005

No comments: